Forms of hosting services
A hosting solution appertains to saving and/or sharing specific content on a server handled by a website hosting company. There are different kinds of hosting services utilized for various ends, so let's have a glance at them. Doing so, you can pick what you need, based on whether you wish to create a site, mailbox accounts, or to share files with mates and colleagues.
- File hosting: a service provided by some hosts, which permits you to share immense files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its only aim is to share files, since it does not offer website uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to read an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to open .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file storage solutions frequently include advertisements next to the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a specific spell of time to view them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you buy a paid file hosting package, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limitation when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
Now, with the help of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is an entirely twisted explanation of the real denotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would distribute the tasks at hand between individual hosts of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending different web hosting services (email, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, web hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a sort of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; some corporations provide a hosting solution for images only. This hosting type is appropriate if you would like to share an immense number of pictures with chums or partners since the service is typically free. You will receive a randomly generated link for each pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for websites.
- Email hosting: a service dedicated to tackling your e-mails. Some firms provide web hosting solutions for websites, but do not offer an e-mail hosting solution. If you would like to open a mail address with your domain name but do not wish to own a site, then the email hosting service is what you want. You can set up email box accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a particular video clip, or you can embed the video in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of using this approach in lieu of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video clip creates a specific amount of central processing unit load, so with a few video files and several hundred site visitors, you may have a problem with your web space hosting resources. Embedding the video file will enable you to keep as many videos as you desire without hassling about system resources.
- Web hosting: this is the solution that you require if you want to possess a web site. To a certain degree, it comprises all of the aforesaid hosting varieties since, along with your websites, you can also host images and files, you can run databases and e-mailbox accounts, upload video files, and so on. At Free Hostia, for example, you can examine web hosting and dedicated web server hosting services that allow you to have all of the abovementioned services in one single place. There may be restrictions based on the sort of hosting service that you've selected - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web site hosting plan may be better or worse compared with the normal e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are intended for specific content only.